The official first day of summer is almost here and we’ve already experienced some summer-like temperatures that might’ve already taxed your AC system. It looks like it’s going to be a blazing hot summer, which means you need to get a jump on AC repair as soon as you’re aware of a problem.
To do so, you need to know the signs that your AC is in trouble. Luckily, it’ll let you know by making a hoot and a holler when something’s up. Let’s go over the types of atypical noises you may hear from your AC that means it’s time to give us a call.
Grinding, Screeching, Metal-on-Metal
- The noise: It’s an unmistakable sound that might put shivers down your spine. There’s just something especially annoying about the grinding of metal against metal.
- The likely culprit: A lack of lubrication between moving parts. This can happen with ACs that aren’t regularly tuned up.
- The possible fix: The technician will pinpoint the source of the noise and check and fix the lubrication levels.
Hissing and Bubbling
- The noise: Hissing sounds like a snake or like air is escaping through a small hole. Bubbling can sound like a kettle or pot on the stove with simmering water.
- The likely culprit: Hissing and bubbling usually occur because of a refrigerant leak. Bubbling occurs when the leak is in the part of the line where the refrigerant is still in liquid form and hissing occurs when the refrigerant is in a gaseous state.
- The possible fix: For refrigerant leaks, we’ll find the source of the leak(s), fix them, and then replenish the refrigerant.
Banging and Clanging
- The noise: Does it sound like the Swedish Chef is wreaking havoc in your home? These noises occur when metal parts are banging against each other.
- The likely culprit: A single screw or lug-nut could’ve come loose and is banging around. Or a major part such as the blower fan could be slightly dislodged and clanging against the housing.
- The possible fix: We’ll pinpoint the source of the noise and tighten any loose screws or re-align and nail down any loose parts.
- The noise: This noise is normal if it occurs during start-up and shut-down, but is a cause for concern at any other time.
- The likely culprit: This could be caused by defective electrical components such as the thermostat’s wiring or it could be the compressor “hard starting.”
- The possible fix: If it’s the compressor, be forewarned that this is potentially a major, costly repair. Clicking noises should be addressed right away.
When you reach out to our team of EPA-certified professionals to come and take a listen to your beleaguered AC, your satisfaction is guaranteed. We promise to diagnose the problem and offer options for repairs that won’t break the bank. If you aren’t satisfied with our service, we encourage you to complain so we can make things right again.
Contact Premier Heating & Air for AC repair in Dublin, GA and Experience the Premier Difference.